Thursday, July 9, 2009

acting out

OK-
So I have yet to post a joy.. although I did reply to Ruth Ellen with a joy verse... I swear I feel joy and quite often.. it just seems as if the stress gets more attention.
Daughter is acting out. I don't know if she is doing this consciously or if it just the nature of a young girl who has some stress of her own. She is breaking the rules, not doing chores and is generally a pain in the butt. I was going to be more gentle than that but it is the truth God love her.
I came home tonight after having cut 12 people's hair in 5 hrs and getting crappy tips. I didn't even get out of the car at my folks house because I was so tired. The kids got in the car and daughter wasn't feeling well.. after I came home and saw the disaster I suspect she felt bad because she knew she had destroyed the bathroom! I looked back at her and both her hands, her leg and her foot (not to mention a good portion of her face) were bright pink...I asked and her response was "It's food coloring"... well as my good friend Lisa would say I didn't twig! It did not occur to me in the slightest that when I got home I would walk into a bathroom that looked as if Happy Bunny had been sacrificed to the gods of mischief.
I walked into my house and then into my kitchen and my cousin (who lives here) said ..."um.. have you looked in the bathroom?" her eyes were wide and I was very afraid.
There was pink dye all over my bathroom. This is dye you use for coloring icing for cakes.. the good kind. The expensive kind. My sink, toilet, tub, towels, walls, shower curtain and floor were all splattered with dye.. splattered sounds nice.. it was..well all I can say is holy crap.
So I am sitting at the computer trying to not go eat some blueberry cheesecake because I am in no way hungry... I am stressed... I went to the store and got some magic erasers and they seemed to do fairly well although I imagine we will have to use them more than once to get everything off....
I am going to head to bed and send a good prayer up to God.. thanking him for giving me the patience to not throttle my daughter whom I love more than life... and that tomorrow will maybe have less stress...
please?

1 comment:

  1. "So I have yet to post a joy.. although I did reply to Ruth Ellen with a joy verse... I swear I feel joy and quite often.. it just seems as if the stress gets more attention."

    So true. This is why joy sadhana is such a great exercise -- it forces us (though I hate to use that language ... maybe more accurately "it cultivates in us the discipline") to focus on positive things. And they don't have to be artfully constructed paragraphs, just a list. For example, here's what mine looks like so far today (it's about 9:30am here in Boston):

    Good things about today:
    * I feel fairly well-rested.
    * I got an email confirming vacation plans for later in the summer.
    Things I did well today:
    * I got up with my alarm.
    * I ate breakfast.
    * I took my vitamins.
    * I brushed my teeth.
    Reasons I am looking ahead to tomorrow with joy:
    * It's my weekend, so I will get to sleep in.
    * A number of friends and family are coming over to celebrate.

    Hope this helps,
    Elizabeth (Ruth Ellen's best friend)

    ReplyDelete