Sunday, July 19, 2009

Wisdom on water

Okay here it goes,

I just finished a good book called "Saltwater Buddha - A Surfer's Quest To Find Zen On The Sea, by Jaimal Yogis" ( Couldn't find the underline button for a book). It's a excellent book written by an journalist who finds his spirituality in the ocean as a surfer. During his life journey he keeps coming back to the ocean and finds his religion in the sea. He becomes one with the water, a passion and a compulsion that he can't stop. He saw his journey of life like the ocean with storms (tough times) and calm waters (good blessings). The ocean water changes with season (some places like New York), water currents, temperature, chemistry changes like pollution. The sea became his teacher on life and how to approach things. The most important thing I learned from the book is 1) be who I am (not try to be something else for everybody, to conform) and 2) go with the flow of life (like the waves of the ocean). That is take life as it comes.

I'm trying to get in shape by swimming. I always loved the sport and I know somehow I also have a connect with the water. I can block off the outside world of people, music, television, phones, computers, and the rat race of life. People eat when they're frustrated; I've been letting it out in my swimming. It helps me focus and think things through. It's my meditation or Zen moment. I love the feel around me with water, feeling free.

I remember when I lived in Florida there was a beautiful beach that we went to and swam in with the stingrays. They are tame beautiful creatures that fly in the water like birds. (Of course I'm in their home so there's signs to shuffle your feet when entering the water so they know your coming and not spook them because that's when they sting).

Water has always fasinated me, maybe that's one reason I'm on the Stream Team. I want to be an advocate for the creatures in the water. We need the baby larva and pupa stages of insects to become adults. The adult insects are food for fish and so on up the food chain.

Water represents life in basptism. All living things need water. And yet it's the most destructive force on the face of the earth, in storms, hurricanes, etc. In fact, if we keep polluting the ocean water will change the Atlantic conver belt (one type of pattern of ocean currents) and Europe will have an ice age.

Future wars will not be over religion or politics but over who has the clean water.

In chemistry water can dissolve, dilute or bond to other elements.

Our bodies are mostly made of water.

I could go on to a book on this topic of water but I don't want to bore people with the basics of science.

For now medidate on this: Go get a glass of water, look at it, praise God for it, and drink it slowly.

Vicki

No comments:

Post a Comment