Sunday, November 15, 2009

first and foremost

First and foremost I FIGURED OUT MY EMAIL/PASSWORD!! yeah me!
Second, today on the way home daughter and I decided that we would go to the store and get salad's from the salad bar for lunch. I actually got a large salad so it will probably be dinner also. This whole eating right thing is not easy!! The factors are many and complicated... I know when we talked this morning after church I mentioned that feeding good things to the children was hard.. (and to myself) it seemed as if the consensus was that I should simply feed them whatever I cook and it would all work out in the wash... and I actually believe that it is true! I also know that being the only parent in this house creates challenges that require me to make decisions on what is important... am I making sense? I get to do it all.. and I take it on (mostly) happily. How do you combat stress when it seems as if ALL of your choices create more? (I am really not whining- only trying to process) If I let go of the ... laundry.. then we have dirty clothes... if it is the dishes then we have nothing to eat on... I ask the kids and demand and cajole.. etc etc for help from them and God bless 'em the do... but what can give so that everything else flows? Oh yeah and do some care taking of myself in the process? any good answers? anyone?.... anyone?..

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Having a family is difficult.

    When my kids were old enough they had chores to help me clean, one or two simple things, like dusting or vaccuuming. One important advice - the house doesn't have to be spotless.

    When David and Stephen were real small I let the house go and took them outside to the park and played on the floor with them. I've heard of moms saying they wished they had spent more time playing and interacted (communicating). The same goes with teenagers. Except whatever you ask them to do something they'll say no or heaven for bid being seen with your mother is so embarrassing in front of their friends. They want to be independent.

    So the trick is to out smart them. Two methods:

    1)Reverse psychology -
    Tell them the opposite of what you want and they will do the thing you want

    2)Tell them that growing up is taking responsibilities. Give them a choice of a job to do for the week and at the end of the month have a small allowance or a reward (have a fiend for sleep over, a special t shirt or go somewhere.)Chore on the weekend needs to be done before free time. Tell them no nagging, just 2 or 3 reminders and if it doesn't get done they don't get the reward. Keep track or a chart for the month because they will argue what was done or not done...with you or each other.

    Or have a job jar (that they give you the ideas)and they will pick for the day or week.

    Sometimes when one child sees the other child getting something special or do that thing they really like, that one child gets jealous.Really look at what makes them motivate or tick. Everyone is different.

    They don't have to be perfect on that job, as long as they try. Good reason for them to learn something. It doesn't have to be done perfectly.

    It maybe a slow start, take small steps.
    But in the long run it will make a difference.
    Giving them choices makes them feel more independent and they're at that age of wanted it. Yet they're still children.


    On foods,

    give them a choice of like 2 or 3 vegeatables - corn, or peas. They will feel more grown up with choices. Also you know what's in the cabnit or refrigerator.

    When Stephen was in school he learned life skills. He was given (fake) a certain amount of money and with that planned meals. Maybe it would help your children to understand the concept of not only how long it takes to make something, but how far the dollar goes. Make a menu ahead based on your income and post the menu ahead so they know.

    Can Gwen do any cooking? Maybe she can prepare some foods ahead of time.

    Oh, yeah, my children took turns doing dishes.
    Seperately, not together in the kitchen. When they see how much work is putting into a meal hopefully they will appreciate your time into preparing.

    It's hard to get kids excited about food, especailly healthy foods. But what they learn young will help there present health and teach healthy habits which are a lifetime.

    I had my challenges with food because some foods are a texture problem with Stephen, who has autism. Some things he still won't touch but I give him a choice to try it.

    Hope this can help.

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete