Sunday, November 15, 2009

[food] "finest bread I will provide/till their hearts be satisfied"

All right, quick and dirty list of foods that I have on hand that require NO prep (pour food into bowl and/or put food on plate) or extremely minimal prep (microwaving).

Beverages:
(prep required: pour food into cup)
+Milk -- I drink about 2 gallons of skim milk a week
+Naked Juices -- expensive, but delicious, and more densely nutritious than other juices

Finger food
(prep required: pick up food)
+Fresh bagels

Bowl food:
(prep required: pour food into bowl. Eat with chopsticks or spoon)
+Trail mix
+Pre-shelled nuts (currently walnuts - no salt added)
+Frozen berries
+Cereal (currently store-brand Oat Bran), which can be combined with milk, berries, and/or trail mix for a more complicated recipe.
+Frozen broccoli (this requires three minutes in the microwave)

Plate food
(prep required: put food(s) on plate, sometimes stacked/spread/layered)
+carrot sticks (sometimes with hummus)
+bread (can be combined with below items to make sandwiches)
+peanut butter
+sandwich meat (pre-sliced)
+cheese (pre-sliced)

I am actually allowed (for definitions of "allowed" that apply to grown-ups, i.e., sanctioned by health professionals, support networks, and my own sense of self-preservation) to do things like eat ice cream for dinner, but all the items on the list above are more or less healthy.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Drinks for me are coffee in the morning, hot tea in the afternoon - either black, green or Oolong (Chinese). Afternoon at work is ice tea (peach or raspberry) or Dr. Pepper (or Pibb).
    I am addicted to caffine because of my work schedule. On the go I love the V8 drinks with fruit.I need to drink more water.

    Breakfast is Oatmeal (not the quick version but whole oats)mix with natural sugar (demerara cane)with raisins. Glass of cranberry juice.

    My big meal is lunchtime and at work at night I eat light.
    Carl does the cooking (usually). We try to eat meat only 3 or 4 times a week. For awhile we did the summer CSA and ate what was in season for vegetables and organic meat (chickens are smaller and have more dark meat when they are free not cage.)We always have alot of fruit and salad.

    So around noon I'll eat things like rice (not white) with vegetables or a noodle dish,fish,eggs, chilli, stew,cassoroles,spagetti, with a salad
    fruit or vegetables (frozen or fresh).
    Cut up peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, carrots to put in salad. It depends what the store food looks like, is it an okay price, and where it comes from.

    Healthy Choice T.V. dinners are good. Small and simple.

    At work during the week, around 6:00 is a granola bar, crackers, and at 8:00 is my yogurt, apple, soy nuts and sunflowerseeds.

    Finger snack foods - banannas,trail mix, nuts,dried fruit,wheat crackers. Every other day a piece of intense dark chocolate (70%), hummus and crackers, bagels.

    Quick foods I eat before taking my Estroblend (meopause herbal) at night is cereral.I love Cherrios.Things on sale like Grape Nuts, Total, Rice Chex, Shreadded Wheat is good.

    We have alot of bread and soups in the winter (homemade).

    Carl eats less meat than me, more salads.
    Stephen is a picky eater. His dish maybe diffferent.

    After a hard workout I'm not that hungry and have to push myself to eat.

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete